Want to really get away from it all? The farthest you can travel from home (and still remain on Earth) is about 7,900 miles (12,700 kilometers) straight down, but you’ll have to journey the long way round to get there: 12,450 miles (20,036 kilometers) over land and sea.
Why not take a shortcut, straight down? You can get there in about 42 minutes — that’s short enough for a long lunch, assuming you can avoid Mole Men, prehistoric reptiles and underworld denizens en route. Granted, most Americans would end up in the Indian Ocean, but Chileans could dine out on authentic Chinese, and Kiwis could tuck into Spanish tapas for tea
In most countries, people have a belief about where they’d end up if they dug their way through the center of the Earth and popped up on the other side. For people in the USA, they think it’s China. For people in the UK, they think it’s Australia. Australians think it’s somewhere in Europe and hope it’s not the UK because the weather is too terrible there.
But prepare to readjust your childhood belief, as this interactive map will show you where you’d really end up if you were to dig your way through the Earth and somehow don’t get burned to death by the core, or crushed by the intense pressure.
And where would you end up if you travel from the USA? You guessed it. You’re also ending up in the sea.
The closest place we can find where you’d end up near actual dry land is near Fort McMurray in Canada, which places you on one of the Heard Island and McDonald Islands.
Major cities or capitals close to being antipodes:
- Auckland (New Zealand) — Seville and Malaga (Spain)
- Xi’an (China) — Santiago (Chile)
- Shanghai (China) — Buenos Aires (Argentina)
- Beijing (China) — Bahia Blanca (Argentina)
- Taipei (Taiwan) — Asuncion (Paraguay)
- Bangkok (Thailand) and Phnom Penh (Cambodia) — Lima (Peru)
- Montevideo (Uruguay) — Seoul (South Korea)
- Bogota (Colombia) — Jakarta (Indonesia)
- Suva (Fiji) — Timbuktu (Mali)
- Melbourne and Canberra (Australia) — Azores (Portugal)
- Manila (Philippines) — Cuiaba (Brazil)
- Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) — Cuenca (Ecuador)
- Singapore — Quito (Ecuador)
- Doha (Qatar) — Pitcairn Island (United Kingdom – Overseas Territory)
Where would you pop up you can check that out here and write in a comment below!